As you are well aware we are well into soup season. As soon as the temperature drops we all bring out our crockpots, dutch ovens, and stock pots. We load up on vegetables, noodles, and broths and from about October to March we make every type of soup imaginable.
I personally love soups. They are easy to make and they are the perfect weekday lunch; not too heavy, not too light and easily transportable. Also, they are relatively healthy. Just take for example this vegetable noodle soup that I recently made. Around this time of year, I normally make chicken noodle soup but this time, I wanted to switch it up and try something different. Instead of using traditional wheat noodles, I opted for vegetable noodles made from zucchini. Just switching out the noodles not only made this dish healthier but it changed it into a vegetarian/vegan dish.
If you are looking for a way to freshen up your traditional winter soups try this recipe or consider swapping out traditional noodles for vegetable noodles (zucchini, carrots, squash, sweet potato) in any of your favorite recipes.
Until Next Time. Stay warm and well fed.
Vegetable Noodle Soup
1 green pepper 2 ears of corn (or frozen corn) 1 red pepper
1 white onion 1 bunch of parsley 3 cloves of garlic
3 zucchini 2 cups shredded carrots olive oil
salt pepper garlic/onion powder
1/2 small eggplant 6-8 cups of vegetable broth/water
- Dice onion, garlic, red and green peppers, and eggplant. Season all diced vegetables with salt, pepper onion, and garlic powder.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a cast iron dutch oven and cook diced onion, garlic, red and green peppers until semi-soft.
- While diced vegetables are cooking, spiralize zucchini, roughly chop parsley and remove the corn from the ear.
- When vegetables are semi-soft (still have a crunch to them), add in broth/water.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and add in the corn. Cook until the corn is soft. *If using frozen corn, add the corn and immediately skip to step 6*
- Add in the shredded carrots and the diced eggplant.
- Continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in zucchini noodles and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and serve.