My summer diet has been all about incorporating as many fresh local ingredients as possible. Every weekend I visit a local farmer’s make, pick up whatever looks good, bring it home and attempt to make something different out of it (more on that in a later post). This weekend’s “experiment” was a delicious Carrot Coconut Soup packed full of ginger and lemongrass.
I know that it’s blazing hot outside and soup is the last thing on most people’s mind (especially during this heat wave we’re going through in RVA) but this turned out to be a tasty and light summer meal and it’s perfect for a weekday lunch. The coconut milk does a great job of lightening up the favor and a adding a touch of basil would brighten up the flavors even more.
What I like most about this recipe is that it’s easy to make and easy to adapt. If you’re been following me for a while, you know that I’m all about changing up simple recipes and just going with the flow of things (hence the unstructured recipes and vague directions). I want you guys to use these recipes as a launching pad to experiment and make these recipes your own. This soup can be easily changed to be a cozy fall or winter soup just by adding warm spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, harissa, or any middle eastern or north African spice and swapping out the coconut milk for heavy cream.
As always the “recipe” for this soup is below. If you decide to make this dish, let me know how you decide to make it your own.
Until next time!!!
12-15 whole carrots Onion Power Garlic Powder
White Pepper Ground Ginger Salt
Olive Oil 8in Fresh Ginger Fresh Lemongrass
3-4 Dried Chilies 3-8 cups of water/broth (vegetable or chicken)
1 can of coconut milk
- Toss carrots in olive oil and season with spices.
- Cut 4in of fresh ginger into medium sized slices
- Roast carrots and ginger on a baking sheet at 375 degrees or 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- While the carrots and roasting, dice two and a half pieces of lemongrass into thin slices along with the remaining 4in piece of ginger. In a medium sauce pot, combine ginger, lemongrass and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Dice softened carrots and ginger into small pieces and blend along with water/broth (strained). Gradually add the liquid to the carrots one cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Once blended and smooth, transfer soup to a large stock pot and add in one can of coconut milk. Stir to combine.
- Add in dried chilies and bring to a simmer. Add additional spices as desired
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with additional spices, shaved ginger and basil.