Over the past couple of posts I have been sharing some of my favorite appetizer recipes. Today, I am going to share with you my final appetizer recipe before we move on to my favorite side dishes. Today, we’re talking all things Cabbage and Spinach Bites. These bites are basically mini versions of cabbage roll.
Again this is another recipe that is quick and easy to make and can be easily adapted. You simply fry up some cabbage and spinach, toss the mixture into a wonton and fry it up. Literally the most difficult part of this recipe is folding the wontons and even that part isn’t hard.
What I love about this is that you can do so many things with this recipe. You can throw in a few bacon piece and turn these into cabbage and bacon bites. You can substitute the spinach for shredded carrots or you add in the carrots along with the cabbage and spinach. If your feeling fancy you can throw in some thinly sliced shallots or shaved asparagus. Again the possibilities are endless!
If you do decide to give these a try, let me know! My family and I loved these and I know you will love them too.
1. 1/4 small cabbage
2. 1/2 tea onion powder
3. 1/2 tea garlic powder
4. 1/4 tea salt (+/-)
5. 2 cloves garlic
6. 1/4 crushed red pepper flakes
7. 1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
8. 3 table olive oil
9. wonton wrappers
10. oil for frying
1. Shred cabbage into small pieces and mince garlic. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pan
3. When oil is hot, add in cabbage, garlic and all seasonings.
4. Sautee until cabbage is mostly done.
6. When cabbage is mostly done add in spinach. Combine and cook until spinach is completely wilted and incorporated.
7. Remove from heat and set aside to cool
8. Once mixture is cool, place a quarter sized amount of cabbage/spinach mixture in the middle of a single wonton wrappers.
9. Gently brush water around the perimeter of the wrapper.
10.Fold the wrapper diagonally and bring the two opposite corners together to form the wonton. (bring the top left corner down to the bottom right corner and press the two edges together. Rotate the wonton counterclockwise . It should now look like a traditional triangle. Bring the right and left points together and press together so that they form a seal.) When complete lay wontons on a baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth so that they do not dry out.
11. Once all wontons are formed. Heat frying oil in a deep dish pot.
12. Fry wontons until crispy and golden on the outside.
13. Drain excess oil from the wontons.
14. When cool, serve with sweet or spicy chili sauce.